Sunday, May 12, 2013

Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic special discount

Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic

Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic

Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic Reviews

Update again 4/9/13: Ok I did end up returning the 2797. One point I'd like to make up front is that in my initial review, I compared the 2797 to my 3590, which was a bit unfair. The 3590 was the previous "top of the line" model, to be replaced by the upcoming 3597 in the 2013 "prestige" series. With that said, I really LOVE the larger 7 in display. This is the same display size as the navigation system in my personal vehicle, a Nissan Murano. 7 in is a great size all around for information visibility and interface "touchability". I think the 5 in screen is good but a bit too small when you factor in information density/interface button size...I don't know this is mostly my personal preference. I returned the unit mainly for the reasons mentioned below but I also have some other observations on the differences between the 2797 and my previous unit the 3590: - This model (the 2797) does not have 3-D buildings or terrain view on the maps. The 3-D buildings for me were mostly a gimmick since I rarely drive into the big cities where the 3D buildings were displayed. However, I really enjoyed the terrain view (which only the "prestige" 2013 models have). If you don't know what this is, when you have 3D map view turned on, hills, mountains and changes in elevation are shown as shaded areas to give a 3D look to the terrain...No, not essential to navigation and mostly eye candy. I hope that Garmin comes out with a model in the Prestige series with a 7 in display. The catch is the price though...the top of the line 5 in prestige model retails for $380 so I'm going to bet that they won't release anything more expensive than that....just my guess. Update: Just posting an update-- I'm thinking of returning the 2797 for a couple of reason I will get into below. First reason is the size. I have no problems with the size of the screen--I love it, its just the size of the unit itself that gets annoying to carry around. I use rental cars very frequently and I like to take my nav unit with me when I'm out and about so it's just that much more bulkier to carry. I got a case for a 7 in nav but it is the size of one of those large music CD binders (and doesn't even hold the mount). I knew this would be an issue but I guess I didn't realize how much it would become an issue until after my first few outings. If you don't move your nav around so much this is probably a non-issue. Second reason: for some reason or another, I totally missed the announcement that Smartphone Link was compatible with my old (last year) 3590. I downloaded the Android and iPhone app and configured my 3590 to use the service very easily. I particularly love the weather feature and the connection to my AT&T Skyrocket Android phone is seamless and reliable (since the app runs continuously in the background on the phone). The 2797 displays the weather better than the 3590 though, the 2797 can show hourly and daily weather on top of the maps while the 3590 just shows a weather icon that much be touched to see the weather. Third reason: I realized that I use the portrait orientation a lot on the 3590 and missed it with the 2797. Some other notes that I've learned: - You can purchase the GTM 60 HD traffic cable to get HD traffic, which comes standard on the Prestige series. I don't have any idea how well this works. However, I got the chance to test out the "default" traffic during the last big rain storm that swept through the Carolinas last week. The default traffic correctly and precisely showed traffic accidents on I-85 and tried to re-route me to avoid delays. I very rarely use the traffic feature so this surprised me a bit with its accuracy. - The information displays on the 2013 line of Nuvi's are much improved. However they seem like just software updates and I suppose Garmin made a marketing decision not to bring those to previous generation Nuvis. This is unfortunate because the newer layout is much nicer in my opinion. ------------- I just received this. After playing with the device, I connected it to my Mac and ran Garmin Express (their new map and firmware update software). It immediately found new map and firmware (v2.4) updates. I'm installing now as I type this. Before my first impressions, I've owned the eMap, the GPS V, the nuvi 350, 6xx, 14xx, 3xxx and now this. The first thing I thought when I opened the box was WHOA! This thing is huge. It's a little more than an inch thick but tapers to the edge so it's not that unwieldy. The resolution of the display is 800x480 which is the same as my 5 in nuvi 3590 but still looks great. Touch sensitivity is very good. The Nuvi 3590 has edge to edge display which is nice, this nuvi goes back to the plastic bezel around an anti-glare display. Contrary to the description, this is NOT "dual-orientation". The nuvi 3590 that I also have is dual orientation--as I understand it. What this means is that it works in portrait as well as the default landscape mode--the maps and interface automatically orient themselves to be readable when the nuvi is turned into portrait mode (much like any modern smartphone). The 2797 does NOT do this. I can't find any setting to enable this (there isn't one on the 3590, its just automatic) so I must conclude that it's a typo in the description...Maybe I'll check out the manual. Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with this and think it's a nice upgrade from the 3590 because of the larger screen size (i'm getting up there in years) and also the software has been slightly tweaked to improve the display of trip data. Where as with the 3590, I can show up to 4 pieces of information along the edge (speed, direction, elevation, etc), the 2797 introduces a new "slide-in" window that can show 3-4 more pieces of information such as trip data, traffic data or exit data (in addition to the two that are always visible in the lower right and left corners). One feature that I love (it's on the 2797 but slightly improved-- I used it on the time on the 3590) is Voice Command. Now before you roll your eyes, this feature on my 3590 works surprisingly well. You just say out loud "Voice Command" (you can customize the magic phrase on the 2797) and you get a voice driven menu of options. You can program in complete address or search for business with just your voice. It works extremely well and is an effective way to control this device while driving. Overall a nice device if you travel frequently and am willing to carrying around this big device. The reasons this device is great for me: - Larger screen is great for older eyes and easier to hit buttons - The 2013 line of Nuvi's can link to an android or iPhone to utilize the data plan of your smartphone to download other information - Smartphones can more than handle most personal navigation duties but I don't like mounting my phone in the window, it gets hot up there.... this is my Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic reviews
Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic

Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic Specs

  • Brand Name: Garmin
  • Model: 010-01061-02
  • Display Size: 7
  • Battery Average Life: 0.5 Hours
  • Map Type: North America
. Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic Best buy
Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
. Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic will.. (Read More)




Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
,

7 out of 10 based on 68 ratings

No comments:

Post a Comment